Monday, October 09, 2006

Floyd's Status

The Mets got through their NL Division Series without their full complement of starters. Now, New York might have to get through the rest of the postseason without its starting left fielder.

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
97 11 44 45 .324 .244

Cliff Floyd, who has been on and off the disabled list this season with various leg injuries, was forced to leave New York's clinching 9-5 win over the Dodgers on Saturday night when he pulled up lame after scoring from first on Shawn Green's double in the third inning.

While the team has listed Floyd as day-to-day with a strained Achilles tendon, his status for the NLCS, which begins Wednesday, is doubtful.

"I was thinking maybe I played my last game of the season," Floyd told the New York Daily News after the game.

"The good news is that I've got Monday and Tuesday to get treatment before we play again," Floyd said in his blog on MLB.com. "And I've already started treatment with ice. I'll be wearing one of those boots again. I don't know, maybe it'll get better in two days. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it. Someone already suggested to me that I could be the DH if we get into the World Series."

A Mets source told ESPN's Steve Phillips that the team would consider playing Floyd, even if he is less than 100 percent, if he is mobile enough to play.

The Mets have until 10 a.m. ET Wednesday to set their roster for the NLCS.

No comments: