Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In the Hall

The Class of 2007 may be the finest in history, featuring Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn. For me, this is very exciting. Cal Ripken, who played in 2,632 consecutive games, is my favorite player of all-time and one of the reasons why I love baseball so much. I know, he was not a Met. My first-baseball game was an Orioles game where I sat in the second row behind home plate, the greatest seats I have ever had. I then met Cal Ripken. Since then I have always loved baseball and followed his career intensely. Its pretty amazing how easily Ripken and Gwynn got in to the Hall. Ripken received the third-highest percentage of votes (tops for a position player) in history, while Gwynn placed seventh. Cal’s 537 and Gwynn's 532 were the top two vote totals in history.

Rich "Goose" Gossage is getting closer to the Hall every year. This year he received 388 votes, 27.2 percent. Goose only needed 26 more votes to get in. Every player that has received more than 70 percent has eventually got in. Mark McGuire was not even close to enough votes. The Baseball Writers of America, gave him only 23.5 percent of the vote, naming him on 128 of a record 545 ballots.

No comments: